Follow Research Workflows
Review the Manage Study section of our website to learn about all of the research workflows that may apply to your study during the different timepoints of the study’s lifecycle.
Before Starting a Study
Prior to starting your study in a UF Health location, you may be required to submit your study to various review committees to ensure that your study details are communicated to Shands staff and that research workflows are followed. See Human Subjects Research Reviews for more details.
Procedure Coding Requests (PCR)
If study team will be obtaining the procedure codes:
- Study team requests procedure codes via e-mail Lab_COS@shands.ufl.edu.
- Requests must include the following information, even if you are only requesting pricing for budgetary purposes:
- Name of Study
- Lab tests/services required
- Principal Investigator name and contact information
- Study Coordinator name and contact information
- Any special handling instructions
- Any other information Lab/Pathology would need to know
- If slides are requested or a biopsy is required, please answer the following:
- Do you need a patient care diagnosis?
- Does this study require only technical work (cuts from cases in which a diagnosis has already been rendered?)
- If UF Health is to perform testing on a biopsy, will it be performed using a standard pathology procedure protocol or does the study have special pathology testing requirements? (Please contact the laboratory if you are unsure what the standard pathology protocol would be for the tissue you are collecting.)
- Lab/Pathology will prepare and email the PCR to the study team for review and approval.
- Once study team receives the PCR back from Lab/Pathology, they will submit a complete study packet to OCR, including the Lab/Pathology PCR.
Review of PCRs
- Lab/Pathology staff will review the requests and confirm codes and pricing.
- The confirmation will include both technical and professional pricing as appropriate.
- During the Coverage Analysis process, the OCR CAB team will review study documents and contact Shands and UFHP for final pricing confirmations.
- OCR staff will email study team and/or upload final pricing confirmations to OnCore.
For ALL UF Health orders, study teams should be following the electronic research order workflows in Epic, which include:
- Associate a Patient to a Study
- Pend Orders – Inpatient and Hospital Outpatient Department (HOD)
- Pend Orders – Outpatient and Ambulatory
- Complete Billing Charge Review
Paper Research Order Forms
- In addition to entering UF Health Lab/Pathology research orders into Epic, each specimen must have a yellow paper order form attached.
- UF Health Lab/Pathology staff will provide study team with yellow research order forms to be included with study specimens.
- To order an extra tube of blood off an SOC blood draw at no charge, do NOT place an Epic order and use the UF Health Blood Draw Station – Extra Research Tube Off SOC Draw form.